For many young women, prom will be one of the most important nights of their adolescent life. It’s not enough to have the perfect date and a great evening planned. Any girl will tell you, it’s all about the dress. Finding a flattering and beautiful dress can depend a lot on your body type. Just because something looks good on the hanger, or on your best friend, doesn’t mean it’s the right style for you.
Before you can choose a style for your body type, you have to know what your body type is. You may hear many different names for the same body shapes, but most stick to fruit and geometric shape descriptions. First, take a look in the mirror and notice how your shoulders and bust, waist, and hips look in comparison to each other. This list will give you an idea of how to determine your body shape.
- Pear: You upper body is narrower than your hips. Your hips and rear are full and legs may be very muscular, while your shoulders are narrow.
- Apple: Your waistline has little definitions and, along with your hips and rear, is full and rounded.
- Hourglass: Your shoulders, bust, and hips are similarly wide, with a narrow, defined waist.
- Rectangle: Your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips all have a similar width. You may be petite, and have little definition to your waist.
- Inverted Triangle: Your shoulders and bust are wider than your hips. Your legs are slim and your physique is sporty.
Once you’ve learned your body style, you can steer towards dresses that will flatter your shape the most. Girls with an hourglass shape are the luckiest, because almost any style will look good on them. However, this body shape is pretty rare. You may be more of a rectangular shape. You can create visual curves on your body by wearing sashes or other details that draw attention to the narrowest part of your waist. A skirt that flares out a little bit will also be flattering. Girls with an inverted triangle shape also want to put some more emphasis on bottom to balance their wider shoulders. Busty girls will want to make sure the top of the dress provides enough coverage for a good bra to be worn beneath. If your body shape is that of a pear, you want to draw attention to the top of the dress. A full skirt will camouflage your wider bottom while pleating or other details emphasize your shoulders and bust. Dresses with higher waistlines, like an empire, are great for girls with an apple body. This ensures it isn’t too tight over the stomach. Other details should draw attention to your favorite parts, such as a short hem to show off nice legs.
After you have narrowed the type of dress you want down, you only need to shop. Trying many different styles on is helpful. In addition, you can look at pictures of celebrities with a similar body shape. For the perfect dress that is simply out of your price range, you might want to rent dresses. The represents a lower cost and still gives you a beautiful dress to complete your special night.